Sunday, April 1, 2007

Heritage

Heritage: something handed down from one's ancestors or the past, as a characteristic, a culture, tradition, etc.

The Sims/McDaniel/Morris family comes from a rich southern heritage. Most Sims/McDaniel/Morris' (SMM's) were born in Alabama. But did you know that William Henry Sims-- our grandfather was born in a small town in Georgia? Yes that's right, he was born in Richland, Georgia http://www.richlandgeorgia.com/ .

Richland is about a two and a half hour drive from Birmingham, Alabama. How he ended up in Birmingham and marrying our Grandmother I don't know. I wish I can make the connection somehow.

Any oral history someone can share? I heard that Granddaddy was running from the clan,which is why he left Georgia.

What have you heard?

Let's share and tie the threads together so that we can hand down our heritage to the next generation.

No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations. I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.
Genesis 17: 5-7

This is a picture I took in Columbus, Mississippi. I love the greenery of the south. I wanted to share this picture because I feel like it's a good statement about where our family is right now. The light has a green arrow pointing to the left, but the road is green and paved straight ahead.

Which way will you go in preserving your heritage?

To the left or the right?

Update: William and Yashar's caterpillar didn't make it 24 hours. "My Pet" died a tragic death when a 4 year old neighbor who doesn't appreciate life as much as the boys, got ahold of the jar and smashed it on the ground.

They were so excited about their find yesterday that they woke up early, dressed and went outside to give "My Pet" some fresh food. They never imagined a 4 year old that has "issues" with caterpillars or any living creature would have a moment and kill "My Pet". I'll explain the "issues" in another post about raising our children. Our we raising them in a village or with wolves?

They were visibly upset-- but were soon over it getting into something else. Children are so resilient. They bounce right back without skipping a beat.

No comments: