Saturday, April 14, 2007

Patriarch

Patriarch: The father and ruler of a family or tribe. . .


William Henry Sims was a man who lived a hard life. He was a womanizer, a drunk, and as mean as a rattlesnake. But when faced with the daunting responsibility of raising 7 children singlehandedly, he didn't run-- like many men have done that were put in his shoes. Instead, he dug down and faced his responsibilities head on. He taught his children to be strong and that duty to family was always first. He did this by example.

He ruled with an iron fist. . .

He loved from a distance. . .

He died as a man who believed in duty to family. . .

WH's legacy lives on today. I, his granddaughter, who was taught by my father, his son-- that duty to family always comes first have devotedly held on to those beliefs.

Family first.

Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.
Genesis 17:5

I'm so happy that we are keeping his memory alive! Many of us never met him and only have heard stories about him. I don't have a picture yet (Whoever has one, please send or email me a copy), but I do have this-- which I see as a part of him.

You can see his parents names and his signature at the bottom. He signed it in 1936, over 70 years ago. Wow! That's so amazing to me.

Oh how I love history!

I hope you guys get on the band wagon with me.

  • Tracie-- why haven't I heard from you?
  • Jack-- I know I should be hearing from you.
  • Brian-- you are not off the hook either.

Let's keep his legacy alive and the family together.

Remember WH? "Duty to family."

Have a blessed week.

Next week I will post what I know about Virginia McDaniel. Any info that you all have, please share. Thanks!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you going about collecting this information on our family.
Great job. Once we acknowledge where we come from we can then proceed to where we need to be.

Adriann said...

Tracie,

Thanks for posting! So far, I've gotten a lot of information from the internet and from my father.

I contacted a local in Richland and she was helpful in finding some information for me, but it was for the white Sims. There are some black Sims in Richland.

I plan to make a trip one of these days and do a little site survey.

Hey, wouldn't it be nice if we can make a day trip during the reunion?